Saturday, January 8, 2011

7/365 ... She was eccentric

My mother was eccentric. I often thought that she was just crazy.
She read 'self help' books. She went through life with an odd, but strong sense of religion.
She journaled.
She dreamed.
She drew.
She painted.
She made things.
She was crafty.
She was embarassing.
She was loving.
She was sick.
She was intense.
She was.... AMAZING.

We were in NO WAY well off. in fact, we were dirt poor. People say that, and I don't think they meant it. We sometimes did not have electric. We grew up with 10 people in two trailers that were connected. It was cold. It was not clean all the time (though much cleaner when my mom lived there).
She made V-day cards for us to hand out, because we couldn't afford to buy them. And when I said she made them, she hand drew about 150 cards. Did the wording, everything.

She made our Christmas presents. I still have a doll she made out of a mop and some fluorescent green & orange ribbons. I have a wooden heart that she handpainted with my name on it. One year we got McDonalds toys for Christmas.
Though she never sewed... cuz that would've topped it off.
When she moved to New Mexico, she had a furniture store where she painted the furniture that her partner made. She had been an entrepreneur, because she had that store, a clothing store, a snow cone business, a restaurant, and I'm sure I'm missing other things.
As an adult:
I'm eccentric.
I journal.
I dream
I want for my children, like she wanted for hers.
I will give all, like she did for her kids.
I love inspirational books.
And though I'm not outward about religion, and I sometimes have a hard time expressing or understanding it, I believe in God. I believe that the Bible speaks truth.

I couldn't find the picture...  I don't have ONE picture of my mother and I together. And that makes me cry. But, I'll add it later

No comments: